Thursday, March 17, 2011

Glee: Hurrah for Regionals

Maybe I'm just still in a post-episode happy fog, but I just caught up on this week's episode of "Glee," and it's been awhile since I've loved an episode of this show quite so much.

I've been a fan of "Glee" since the beginning, but the truth is, it is often wildly uneven. When it's good, it's great. When it's bad, it can be pretty damn horrid. But as long as I get a couple of catchy songs to buy on iTunes and a few laugh-out-loud zingers, I'm usually set. This week's outing offered all that and more.

This year's Regionals episode made me nervous. I wasn't sure about the original songs idea, particularly after hearing Rachel's previous attempt (although "My Headband" was pretty epic, it was not exactly what you might call a good song). But the original songs the kids came up with were actually a lot of fun. The first ones offered were, again, not exactly good music, but they were hilarious and catchy. The actual Regionals songs they offered up, while somewhat generic pop, were, again, catchy, and pretty fun. You didn't have to be a rocket scientist to see New Directions was going to Nationals this year, so their win was pretty obvious, but it was still a thrill to see them come out on top for once. And the glitter slushies were a perfect touch.

While I'm usually not the world's largest Rachel fan, I thought she was used to perfection here. We saw her diva side, but we also saw her vulnerable. Which made it that much sweeter when she ended up triumphant. But I was also surprisingly moved by Quinn, who came off like a mega-bitch for a lot of the episode but showed her own vulnerable side in revealing that she expected to end up in Lima raising a family while Rachel ran off to be a star.

Finally, I can't overlook the completely adorable romance blossoming between Kurt and Blaine. I am only a little ashamed to admit that I squeed like a 13-year-old fangirl when they kissed. Between that, the surprising vulnerability shown in the Rachel/Finn/Quinn triangle and last week's heartbreaking scene between Santana and Brittany, my faith in the writer's ability to set up actual relationships on this show is somewhat restored.

On that note, I have to say, Santana is quickly becoming my favorite character. "Trouty Mouth" was the perfect note for an original song from her to Sam, who seemed just flummoxed and a little insulted by the whole thing. After her devastating confession of love to Brittany last episode, her hardened bitchiness this week was even more compelling. She was awesome as a mean girl. She's even more awesome as a mean girl with real layers.

Of course this wasn't a perfect episode. There were moments that felt messy or rushed, or like they were trying to cram way too many threads into one 40-min slot. But I came away feeling happy. Almost giddy. And isn't that how television should make us feel?

The New Directions' original song:



Rachel and Quinn:




Santana being brilliant, per usual:



And, finally, Kurt and Blaine, making millions of fangirls and fanboys swoon:

No comments:

Post a Comment