Thursday, March 10, 2011

Show You Should Be Watching: "Raising Hope"

I never planned on watching "Raising Hope." The previews certainly showed promise, but I already had a packed TV viewing schedule and felt no need for yet one more sitcom about a messed-up family. I mostly watched it because it happened to be on in a slot where nothing else I wanted to watch was on. Now I can't imagine my viewing schedule without it. 


The great thing about "Raising Hope" is that it is not only funny, often hysterically so, but it also has a lot of heart. As dim-witted and dysfunctional as the characters can be, they genuinely care about each other. They may fight, and say offensive things, and they may not be the most traditionally great caregivers for baby Hope, but they almost always have good intentions, and they are hard not to love. 


The premise behind "Raising Hope" is that the lead character is a slacker 20-something who has a one-night stand with a woman who turns out to be a serial killer. After she is executed, the baby that resulted from their fling is handed over to Jimmy, who lives with his young parents (Jimmy himself was the result of a high school pregnancy) and his great-grandmother, Maw-Maw, who is only occasionally lucid and always inappropriate. Together they take on the task of raising Hope (originally named Princess Beyonce by her murderous mother). 


Jimmy is sweet but a bit dull-witted, and he falls quickly for a checkout girl at the grocery store, Sabrina, who is clever, cute and (of course) taken. On any other show Jimmy's crush would be a constant and major focus. On "Raising Hope," while it does come up and often provides interesting storylines, Jimmy's family is really the center of the show, and Sabrina is just a bemused bystander who quickly becomes a friend and frequent visitor. 


Jimmy's parents are an especially integral and hilarious part of the show. His mother, Virginia, is tough and opinionated, and often makes up or misuses words when she tries to make a point. His father, Burt, is not very bright but makes up for it by trying really, really hard. Usually with disastrous results. 


This is a group that obviously cares about each other, but they're not the type to get sappy. The actors have great timing and play perfectly off of each other. They are charming and imperfect. But it certainly also helps that the writing is sharp, irreverent and hilarious.


A few examples:


Sabrina (on Jimmy meeting Hope's other grandparents): Lucy never introduced you during your storybook romantic courtship? Oh, right, you did it in the back of your van and then she was executed. 
Jimmy: You know it cheapens it when you say it like that. 

Virginia: Make sure you keep your distance so you don't let them reel you in like you did with that cult that worships Josh Groban.
Jimmy: I wasn't that caught up in that. I swear to Josh. I mean, God. 

Sabrina: My cousin's an ultra-gay conservative. He's a member of the Herbal Tea Party. 

Jimmy: I have her picture here. I keep it in my wallet next to the condom I always carry now. Fool me once, right? 

Jimmy: Listen, I have a question about this food and it might be a stupid question, but I I feel I should ask.
Sabrina: I'm sure it's not stupid.
Jimmy: Okay. Well, um, the book I have says I should feed her vegetables and I want to do that, but the only vegetable jars I found have pictures of either black babies or Asian babies on them, and I don't know if the pictures are random, you know, or if there's a reason Asian babies instead of white ones should eat these particular string beans?
Sabrina: That is a really good question. The colors of the babies on the jars don't matter, however it's really important that you do not feed her anything with a picture of a boy on it or else she will grow a penis. And a mustache.
Jimmy: I said it might be a stupid question.
Sabrina: Yeah you did. I just... really wasn't prepared for that. 


Add some quirky, often brilliant comedic acting to this writing and you get a show that is not only gut-bustingly funny but simultaneously charming and often even heartwarming, without ever crossing the line to sappy or cliche. Luckily I'm not the only one who recognizes this - "Raising Hope" has already been renewed for a second season. So if you're not watching already, get on that. You'll be glad you did. 







No comments:

Post a Comment